Thursday, February 11, 2010

Unit 4

ELAALRC2 The student participates in discussions related to curricular learning in all subject areas.



Given that i didn't take part in any discussions, i think i had the most difficulty meeting this standard.





I would like to study more about the Harlem Renaissance. I'm interested in studying the Harlem Renaissance because I don't really know that much about it and I feel that it would be a good thing to learn new things and possibly review things I may have already learned but long since forgotten.


The theme to this story is a very interesting one. In this passage it talks about struggle, hard times, and trying to make ends meet. It also said that the Harlem Renaissance was a forced phenomenon. When I read that, i didn't understand why it was described that way. It seems as though it would have happened sooner or later anyway, forced issue or not. Some of the music that we have today was influenced from music hat came from the Harlem Renaissance. Music wasn't the only thing that came out of the Harlem Renaissance, there were poems, books, and albums as well.


Richard Corey


He walked around town, looking like a king. He was rich and people knew it. People that are rich aren't always happy. Obviously being rich wasn't good enough and he was miserable, he took matters into his own hands and ended his own misery.


Mending Wall

This talks a lot about a wall. It talks plenty about how many ways the wall can be destroyed and how it can be rebuilt. I believe that Robert Frost was using psychoanalysis while creating this poem. It never specifically says why people put up their walls. I believe that he wants you to take a closer look at the bigger picture when reading it.


A Dream Deferred

Hughes is talking about disillusionment. I don't think when he says a "Dream" deferred, that he is talking about the American dream as a whole. He may actually be trying to write about the Harlem Renaissance. The important thing is, when you have a dream don't let it be a broken one.

The Negro Speaks of Rivers

I definitely think that Hughes is using the Harlem Renaissance in this poem. It has to do with somebody that has been by all kinds of rivers, whether it be a real one or a river of doubt for the African American people. It talks about a hut beside a river, a pyramid, and Abraham Lincoln. I don't believe that I understood this poem very well. The most I get out of it is the river is an important symbol of some sort.

Incident

Harlem Renaissance. All the way, I can tell this because a little boy was discriminated against because of his race. He was young and he didn't understand why he was treated differently at all. The Harlem Renaissance had to do with discrimination and hard times for African Americans, this is a very concrete poem that shows a little bit about discrimination effected the mind of a child.


How have you improved on understanding the Georgia Performance Standard you said was most difficult for you?

I didn't participate in any discussions, however I do feel as if I know more about Modernism. If I had to take part in a discussion about this kind of stuff then I believe that I could have a long detailed conversation because a good amount of material was included in Unit 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment